Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Punxsutawney Phil was right!

What an utterly delightful weekend! Unseasonable warmth! Outdoorsy-ness! Fun times with friends I see far too little of! More weekends need to be like this one.

The husband and I took advantage of the lovely weather and went to the park twice in three days for some geocaching. In short, it is some good nerdy treasure hunting fun. We've just started doing it, but it's an excuse to go play outside, which we don't do nearly enough of, and it gave the husband an excuse to buy a new gadget (a handheld GPS that was half off at the BX). If there are two things he loves (aside from me and the cat), it's gadgets and good deals. Anyhow, it was nice that we got to go out and frolic because he's working crazy evening/night/twelve hour shift hours for the next two weeks. And he's not even going to be working during the inspection the exercise is practicing for, but whatever. 

The highlight of the weekend, however, was my friend Randy's birthday party.
This is Randy.
You can probably tell from the mustache just how awesome he is. He is part of the crew I have gone to Bonnaroo with four of the last five years, so integral to the crew that we have dubbed ourselves Randy's Renegades. I usually only see him once or twice a year, so this was a special occasion. Randy and other crew members finally got to meet the husband after hearing me talk about him for years, and vice versa. My bff was there and our friend James came down from New York. We got a very detailed narrated tour of Randy's insanely awesome weapon room that I've been hearing about for years and got to shoot a potato gun in his backyard. And his wife! She is the most adorable and saucy lady I could possibly imagine. Despite the three hour drive home at 1 am and the extra hour it took to get to the party due to four miles of interstate being closed, it was a majestically wonderful evening. And the icing on the cake? Even though it wasn't my birthday, I got a super sweet present.
I am now the proud owner of my very own magic wand. Randy carved it from black gum. It has threads of edenite throughout, is tipped with a Madagascar crystal, and has a piece of a 300,000 year old meteorite from Wolfe Creek, Australia in the handle. Best un-birthday gift EVER! I've already used it to have the husband make me a grilled cheese. It could have just been him being nice, but I prefer to think that it was magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment