Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

(My First) MilSpouse Friday Fill-in #30


Whoa, do you have any idea how hard I worked trying to figure out how to get that image inserted and aligned?!?! This html business and my brain are not friends. (ed. note - I only later noticed the "insert image" button Blogger provides.)

1. What is your favorite MilSpouse blog?
I've just gotten into reading MilSpouse blogs. I've just recently caught up on L to the third (Virginia-based history nerds, unite!), Just Another Snarky Navy Wife, who has a delightfully filthy mouth, and the The Unlikely Wife Adventures!

2. What are your favorite perks about your s/o being deployed?
Freedom to pick up and take my much loved random road trips. The husband has only been deployed once, it was short and it was to a "safe" place. I didn't have to spend my time worrying, which was great. So I spent my summer making numerous trips to my hometown and my college town, having adventures in Kentucky, going to Bonnaroo, aka the happiest place on Earth, and throwing a joint birthday party with my bff. All in all, a pretty great summer, minus the whole missing the husband part. Oh, the joys of having no children and a menial job!

3. How long did you date your significant other before getting engaged? Married?
We started working together in August of 2004 (and I apparently stole his job). For several years I referred to him as "creepy." Luckily, I eventually realized that it wasn't really creepiness, just nerdy eccentricity.  I remember buying him shots after insisting he come out with me and some of our co-workers in May 2006, after learning that his 21st birthday was the previous week and he hadn't appropriately celebrated yet. By early 2007, he was inviting himself and a bottle of wine over  to my apartment after work nearly every night to watch movies or play Guitar Hero or help me study for Econ exams, and he would sometimes fall asleep on the couch. My then-roommate/bff said something to the effect of, "You know one day he's just going to come over and never leave, right?" Yeah, she was right. We don't have an official date, but we started dating in late-February-ish. He left for basic training in October and proposed on the eve of New Years Eve. We sneakily got married in August 2008, but we lived 3 hours apart until May 2009 when I graduated and was able to move. So we're basically newlyweds, right?

4. What do you think your significant other would do if he wasn't in the military?
Something computer-y and calibration-y.

5. If you could talk to the Secretary of the Air Force what is one suggestion you would like to bring to their attention in order to improve the lives of military families?
If you are going to offer education assistance money to MilSpouses, make it accessible to all of us. I had only just heard of MyCAA from another MilSpouse and was thinking, "Ooooh, potential free grad school monies!?," when the program disappeared and then reappeared in a re-vamped, totally not useful to me way. Just because I have a bachelor's degree doesn't mean I'm necessarily finished with school, and the fact that it is now only applicable to associates and certificates is kind of a joke.

1 comment:

  1. From one Virginian sci-fi geek to another, welcome to the Friday Fill-In fun!

    Oh man, don't get me started on MyCAA and its many, many issues. I think when demand for the initial program outstripped expectations by orders of magnitude, they totally mishandled the "solution." If the program as originally conceived was unsustainable, then fine, it had to end. What I object to is how they patted themselves on the back for "bringing back MyCAA!" when in reality the program was so different it bore no resemblance to the original.

    ReplyDelete